ABOUT THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION (NIE)
The National Institute of Education (NIE), Singapore, is Singapore’s national teacher education institute and we are proud to be an integral part of the nation’s education service. We play a key role in the preparation of teachers and in the provision of teacher professional and school leadership development programmes. We are committed to our vision of being An Institute of Distinction: Leading the Future of Education and our mission to Inspire Learning, Transform Teaching and Advance Research. Read more about NIE [ Link removed ] .
NIE invites suitable applications for the position of Manager / Assistant Director in the Academic & Faculty Affairs (AFA) Office.
The AFA Office oversees the recruitment of faculty and their career & leadership development. Day-to-day operations include the full spectrum of administrative processes for faculty appointment, promotion & tenure and contract renewal, and appraisal of faculty. The Office also manages start-up grants, faculty related data management systems and faculty recognition awards.
In all of these functions, the AFA Office works closely with the Academic Groups and the Human Resource and IT departments of NIE and strives to integrate the functions between the offices to ensure the smooth running of all matters related to faculty processes.
- You will direct and manage the various administrative functions of the AFA Office and coordinate and synergize its work with other relevant departments in NIE and NTU
- Initiate periodic review of procedures and guidelines in discussion with the Human Resource Department to continually enhance effective and efficient administrative workflow.
- Collaborate, synergize and attempt to Integrate with the Human Resource Department and Academic Groups on processes related to faculty appointments, contract renewals, and promotion & tenure and annual appraisal and discuss necessary actions for special cases.
- Prepare the AFA annual workplan and budget, in consultation with Dean, Associate Dean and Assistant Dean.
- Spearhead improvements / changes in the administration and guidelines of the NIE Start-Up Grant necessary to comply with the NIE Data Management Policy as stipulated by the Research Data Management Committee.
- Advise faculty / administrators on matters pertaining to faculty processes and grant matters.
- Oversee faculty-related data management systems, e.g., Student Feedback on Teaching, Academic Workload, and Publications and Research Database systems and work with the Digital Solutions Department on recommending solutions to issues faced by end users.
- You will provide leadership, direction and guidance to the Administration Team and its operations:
- Plan, organize and monitor administrative processes in accordance with the calendar of events and stipulated work timelines.
- Manage the work performance of support staff and their development in consultation with the Dean & Associate Dean. These include their work-goal setting, mid-year and annual performance appraisals, and formative feedback on work performance.
- Ensure dossiers and documents submitted by faculty are thoroughly checked by the support team for consistency and adherence to prevailing University guidelines.
- Attend evaluation panel meetings, highlight potential issues and provide recommendations for the panel’s considerations, record meeting notes, and draft evaluative reports for faculty appointments, contract renewals, and promotion & tenure.
- Plan and organize professional learning communities and engagement sessions for faculty and Heads of Academic Groups to strengthen their awareness and understanding of various NIE faculty policies / guidelines.
- Oversee financial matters, including approval of purchases and tracking of expenses.
- You will be involved in strategic planning for the AFA Office and in special projects:
- Ideate AFA’s strategic directions / key initiatives with Dean, Associate Dean and Assistant Dean, and draft approval papers, progress reports and slides to NIE Senior Leadership and the Council.
- Conduct literature review and environment scans and formulate NIE’s faculty development strategies in consultation with Dean.
- Co-design and analyse faculty surveys to strategise faculty engagement initiatives with Dean and Associate Dean.
- Serve as a member of the NIE Working Committee for Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) and initiate periodic review on AFA’s compliance with the PDPA guidelines.
- Act as secretariat in various internal / MOE-related committees and propose appropriate recommendations and follow-up actions to Dean and Associate Dean.
- Assist Dean and Associate Dean in any other additional duties or special projects assigned by NIE Senior Leadership.
- A University Degree.
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience. Prior experience in handling research / research administration / faculty HR / copy-editing and publishing in a University setting will be advantage.
- Proven track record in people management and leadership of administrative units.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, especially Microsoft Excel.
- Good writing, analytical and integrative skills.
- Outstanding attention to details, strong time management and interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task and interact with stakeholders of various seniority levels.
- Resilient, self-driven, proactive, focused and responsible.
For more information about the role of the Office of Academic & Faculty Affairs, please access the web-link: ([ Link removed ] )
19 July 2022
NIE staff can take chartered buses at their own expense from or near their homes to NIE campus. This is subject to the availability of seats.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: NIE
In line with Singapore’s nationwide Vaccination-Differentiated Safe Management Measures (VDS), employees must be fully vaccinated to return to the workplace, unless certified to be medically ineligible. For Information on VDS, please click [ Link removed ] .
- Attention To Detail
- Copy Editing